Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Politics of Fear (Saturday)

The Midnight Knock: Living Under State Terror

I missed most of this one because I could not drag my behind out of bed at 0700 in order to be in my seat at 0900. Although I did get there in time for the Q&A. I found the most compelling speaker to be Monique Skidmore talking about Burma. Guess, I never really thought much about Burma. It sounds pretty bleak.

Extremism and Ideology in South Asia

Here the discussion centered on India, Pakistan and Kashmir.

Identity Crisis: Europe, Immigration, and the "Other"

Really liked this one. The opening statements led to a spirited debate of assimilation vs. segregation of Muslims in Europe and how different countries have different Muslim populations with different goals. The overall conclusions were that the younger generations being courted by the Salafists and extremists knew relatively little about their religion and that the current talk of Muslims ignored that fact that Muslims have been present in Europe forever.

I was sorry to see from the program that Professor Prins was gone. I worried that no one could fill his shoes. This was unfounded. Todays irreverent and engaging speaker was Felipe Fernandez-Armesto. He disagreed with nearly everyone on the panel and was extremely amusing in explaining why.

Transcending Fear: Profitable Security Solutions for Oil, Climate and Proliferation Problems

Now this guy had something to say which should interest us all. He was explaining how to become free of our oil addiction by 2050 through conservation and alternative fuels. He wrote a book, I might get it, lol, it might be way way over my head.

Shifting Paradigms: The Changing Nature of Terrorists and States

This panel discussed the legalities of chasing the terrorists, respecting other countries sovreignties, etc. There was a whole discussion of "what would you do if Osama walked through the door?". Where would you get the legal authority to arrest him? Where are you trying him? Can you just shoot him? (Hell, yes, gimme a gun - and stand back, I've never fired one). How bad we are not to recognize the ICC. How naive we are to object to placing ourselves under someone elses juristiction. Blah, blah, blah. Jack Blum stated with outrage and incredulity "Did you know that we insist that no American service member can be held responsible for his actions except by our own military courts?" Duh! Baby, that's why we don't join the ICC.

It was tough at times being the only conservative in the room.

Last but not least - The Necessity of Torture? Ethics and Utility

Here we go - out comes Abu Ghraib, a big club to beat us over the head with. The personification of the military was Commander Gibb of Annapolis. He's never been in combat, he's never been to Gitmo or Iraq. He took it well and I went up afterwards to shake his hand. During the Q&A I got up and asked him to contrast Abu Ghraib and the other cases being discussed. In particular Hentie Botha, a police officer from South Africa who described routinely torturing with his supervisors approval and protection. Whereas at Abu Ghraib it was a fellow soldier who turned in Lyndie, and Graner and the others, the Army investigated, and prosectued the miscreants. That every service member I know was angry about it. Therefore the acceptence of torture and mistreatment was not systemic in the military. (What I wanted to say was the the SecDef did not send that stupid cow Lyndie to torture people in secret. If he wanted that he would have sent me and it would have stayed secret) CDR. Gibb fumbled at first, but recovered and stated that yes, things were better because most soldiers, marines and airmen (he never mentioned sailors in any of his remarks - maybe he doesn't know they are in Iraq too) agree torture is wrong and fruitless and now leadership is more watchful and taking preventative actions.

After this lecture, on my way out the Russian panelist from Friday night Peter Roudik stopped me to say he got my point and agreed with me. I was kind of taken aback. He seemed to want to talk more (probably recognized a girl who likes a good police state) but I was kinda flustered. LOL. I know that's not like me. Anyway, I dashed off.

Now I am off to the shower so I can be in my seat for todays concluding lectures.

No comments: