Monday, August 28, 2006

Another Great Weekend!

Ossipee was fun and I plowed about a third of the way through Sun Tzu. I would have liked it better had the bullet points been written on little scraps of paper and stuffed in fortune cookies.

We hit Kappy's and Polcari's on Route 1 on the way up. Roger almost had to dig us out of Jen's car, we were so loaded down with bags and boxes of liquor and food. There was tons of room for us to spread out in his four story town house on Patch Pond. I was down by midnight.

Saturday morning Roger and Kathy made us breakfast and while we waited for the cloud cover to break he listed off all the possible activities, rain or shine. The sun eventually came out and off we headed for the beach. Jen, Pat, Bette headed out with Kathy and Roger on the boat while I staked a claim on some comfy, sandy waterfront to soak up some sun, some chocolate, and "The Art of War". It was an exceedingly pleasant time. Later I had to pop into town with Kathy for some last minute shopping (plenty of vodka - no cranberry juice or limes), then it was back to the beach for more reading and sun...this time with a cocktail. While I was gone, Jen, Pat and Bette found Roger's neighbor Tom who had a boat and took them tubing. They gave me a hard time (called me a geek) but I don't care. I really had a good time. I was a little lost on some of the examples used to illustrate different principles or rules, but most I got. A phone call to Dad explained the siege of Port Arthur and the Japanese. Eventually the Cape Codders impaired my reading abilities and I had to put Sun Tzu away.

Roger made us a fabulous dinner and eventually the other Kathy showed up 12 hours late....but better late than never. We laughed and shared stories well into the night, except for Pat who snuck off to bed early.....too much fun in the sun! With the stunning logic that comes only after much alcohol consumption I called Kathy's brother - a Chelsea cop I have never met and gave him a hard time. Even on a Girl's weekend I find a way to flirt with men. He is USNR - bonus! LOL

We were all slow Sunday morning, except for Roger who made us homemade waffles! Sunday was rainy and most of the day they played board games while I lazed on a nearby couch reading and tossing rude and ribald comments. When things got too risque I would be forced to ask my sister Jen to leave the room. I was teased a great deal, but she is my baby sister! Roger gave us a tour of his second condo which had a pool table (Pat took one game and Roger the other) and a TV. Jen and I got our fix for the weekend. We couldn't find FoxNews (big weekend there with Steve Centanni getting released), but we did find something fun on CSpan. The Heritage Foundation presented a panel discussion "24" and America's Image in Fighting Terrorism (WMP video here RealPlayer link here). It was very entertaining. Jen and I love "24" and I found Carafano hugely interesting.

We headed home around 6 pm and I arrived home in time for a fabulous phone call from SouthieBoy. He is the best.

It was loads of fun, but it's good to be back in my own bed.

No comments: