Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Last Night's Lecture

Last night Jen & I went to a lecture on the Boston Strangler. The lecture was at the Old State House, it was part of the Lowell Lecture series, hosted by the Bostonian Society (I am a card carrying member, thank you very much). The guest speaker was Alan Rogers (Chair of the History Department at Boston College, where he teaches courses in US Constitutional history and Anglo-American law). He is the author of Murder and the Death Penalty in Massachusetts.

Now I went into this with preconceived notions. I don't know anyone who thinks the Boston Strangler was Disalvo. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I realized this guy believed it. We were so shocked, we didn't buy the book! We were sorry shortly after that at dinner, so I will get it next week when I go to the next lecture.

Boston Firsts: From the Public Library and the Constitution to the
Cream Pie and the Ready-made SuitWednesday, October 4, 6:30 pmBoston has been a
center of creativity and invention since its founding, and this book highlights
the diversity of that innovation. Lynda Morgenroth is the author of Boston
Neighborhoods: A Food Lovers’ Walking, Eating and Shopping Guide to Ethnic
Enclaves in and around Boston and a longtime Boston Globe contributor.

So we followed it up with dinner at the Chart House. I wasn't as impressed as the last time. My potatoes were lumpy, there was a fan blowing on us the whole time and the molten lava cake was so-so. I was cold, but Jen was happy. People who know me know that I favor the cold, being a New Englander. Jen puts me to shame. I wear shorts until it snows and skirts all year round. Jen want to move to Greenland. SB describes any room where I have control of the thermostat as a meat locker. In Jen's house I put an afghan on my knees.

Then it was home to a call from my son, the anarchist. He is always entertaining. My sisters and I are going down in November for Tom's 25th birthday. And no Bob, there will be no interacting with the farm animals (or animals of any kind).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What??? No farm animals??
I guess I'll have to stay home then.
DC Protest Warrior loves you anyway.

BostonMaggie said...

Of course DC Protest Warrior loves me.

Anonymous said...

wait, wait, wait Frankus advocates the violent overthrow of all authority figures and rule by the strongest and most cold blooded i just like to smoke and date mountain girls... and I'm the anarchist?