Friday, March 11, 2011

Stations - Week 1 #FAIL

Spent the day in bed with gastric woes. Finally sent Kathy a text to say that I was not going to make Stations.

I finally made it upright about a half hour ago. I heated the dinner my parents brought me back from their outing to the Warren Tavern with my Aunt Ann and my Uncle Frank.

I made it about half/three quarters of the way through delicious baked haddock, potatoes and salad when I remembered that a) take out/restaurant food and b) salad are forbidden on a neutropenic diet.

Which might not be the end of the world if I were progressing nicely, but yesterday was another setback. Last Saturday, my white blood cell count was 2,800 (normal is 4,500 to 11,000). Yesterday I had dropped to 1,700. If I don't make more of my own by next Thursday they will reintroduce neupogen.

As the Favorite Naval Consort said "I know this is a kick in the teeth. But you have to keep fighting." Yeah, yeah. What other choice do I have?

Plus my mother is mad at me about going to Mass Wednesday and trying to go to Stations tonight. She says I am not taking this seriously enough.

3 comments:

wolfwalker said...

For what it's worth, I'm pullin' for you and sending positive vibes your way.

Spockgirl said...

What wolfwalker said.

And... I read over the Neutropenic Diet and guidelines. Interesting to note that ALL the foods that are "good" for you right now are technically "bad" for me, i.e. pre-packaged, frozen food and whatnot that I consider guilty pleasures, and tend to eat a lot of. Growing up with a mom that cooked the most amazing meals, I ended up with a strange desire for Turkey TV dinners and frozen pizza which holds up to this day.

Eat... rest... C'mon white blood cells!

ponsdorf said...

Ya know...I dunno about that Catholic stuff. But I do know a bit about knot heads.

If you screw this bit up, I WILL haunt you. That may sound like fun, but we'll see.