Sunday, January 06, 2013

Going To Mass in Hull

Alternate title: Gee, Maggie is such a snob.

Yeah, yeah I am.

So, I have been sleeping really well here at the new place.  I know it's the ocean.  So I was up and showered and dressed in plenty of time to walk to the local Church.  It has pews on three sides and is more wood than stone.  So it doesn't resemble St. Francis.  I know, not every Church can be St. Francis.

I was born into St. Mary's Parish in Charlestown and all I remember about it was how strongly it smelled of incense.  It was nearly overwhelming. I like that smell and it was too much even for me.  Then when I was four, almost five we moved into St. Franics de Sales Parish.  For the next sixteen years, it was my Church.  It was where I learned how to act in Church.

Then I got married and moved to Beachmont, a section of Revere.  I remember the first time I went to Our Lady of Lourdes at the bottom of the hill.  I was wearing a very conservative royal blue wool dress.  Everyone was in black, I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb!  LOL! And Mass was in Italian.  I filled in the blanks with the Latin I had learned at Pope John..... and it was back to St. Francis.

When I lived in Kingston and my children were young I too a stab at St. Joseph's, but so many things seemed "off".

I just gave up and attended Mass in Charlestown.    It was so much easier.  Plus I just feel so at peace sitting there in my usual pew, eight rows from the front.

But there is no public transportation here in Hull on Sundays.  Well in the winter anyway.  We'll see what happens in the summer.  So, I walked down to the local Church.

First, I know it's picky and I should shut it out,  but once people enter the church, I think they should be quiet.  If you must speak, it should be in hushed tones.  The mood is supposed to be contemplative.  Be courteous to others.

But people were yakking away.

Then during Mass people who were late were marching from the back door on the left, passing the altar on their way to a pew on the right.  Or right up the center and then over to the side.  Now listen there is no one who understands being tardy like yours truly.  But seat yourself at the back unobtrusively.

So I guess I am going to have to switch from Sunday morning Mass to Saturday afternoon vigil.....so I can get to St. Francis.

7 comments:

Charity said...

I love this post, and you're too funny. I get wound up over everyone's behavior at Mass too. People who sit and yammer so you can't think or pray before Mass starts, ugh. And adults who wander mid-Mass, seriously? Sit down.

I miss our last church, Sacred Heart. Mass at USNA is beautiful, and I absolutely love it, but I still think about Sacred Heart all the time. We had "our pew" at Sacred Heart, because there was hardly anyone at the 8:00 am. My pew and I are still having separation anxiety...well, one of us is anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice posting!

Where in Hull are you attending Mass?

I grew up next door in Cohassett - please don't hold that against me!!

Sean

BostonMaggie said...

Sean, I can't tell you that! They won't let me back in.

Of course, at the rate the Archdiocese is closing them soon there'll only be ten and you'll easily figure it out.

BostonMaggie said...

Charity, I'll have to go with you to the USNA service next time I'm down there.

Charity said...

Maggie, it would be a pleasure!

Anonymous said...

I think I went to The Red Parrot, there in Hull-- on the beach...Best!!!

BostonMaggie said...

The Red Parrot is still there....come back & I'll walk down!