Saturday, May 26, 2012

Last Minute Change-Up

My Battleship plans have been shifting as if made on sand.  I've been looking forward to watching the US Navy save the world from aliens.

First I was going with my brother Frankie and my nephews on Tuesday.  Frankie backed out.

Fine! (that's my bratty answer when my plans are thwarted)

So I headed downtown for the 5:30 show Wednesday.  But...I got a little distracted, buying blueberries and stopping to tweet about the guy proselytizing at the top of his lungs in Downtown Crossing.  So I got there a few minutes late.  But that was fine because it was showing every hour.  So I was checking out the other movies to see what I could fit in before a later Battleship showing.  I noticed a line queued against the far wall.  I asked the ticket sellers - there was no one in line for the two registers - "What's going on?"  They had no idea.  Which was weird.  They weren't selling tickets for it, they didn't know what the movie was about or when it started.

So I walked up to the head of the line and asked.  It was a free preview of "For Greater Glory, the True Story of Christiada".  They offered me a ticket and I got in line.  It was starting at 7pm with seating to begin at 6pm.  Someone in the line said the film was a little under two hours.  The closest Battleship showing was 8:45pm.  I figured with all the previews, I could probably make it.  So I got that ticket too.

I was seated a few minutes after six and pulled out my latest read "Guns, Germs and Steel".

The movie was awesome.  It's about a time in the last century when the Mexican government tried to outlaw religion.  There were clashes between the government forces and Catholics fighting for religious freedom.  I was so moved.  And of course, as a Catholic, I felt it on another level.  Really good movie, two thumbs up.

One tiny, itsy-bitsy beef.  President Calvin Coolidge.  Bruce McGill?  Bad fit.  Distracting for this history nerd.

But.......it wasn't under two hours.....it was two hours and seventeen minutes!  So they refunded my Battleship ticket and I try again Tuesday.

No comments: